Protest Traffic Disruptions 1/20/17
Please be advised of the following events that will occur in the Downtown area:
- On Friday January 20, 2017, there will be at least 98 different groups protesting the inauguration of Donald Trump.
- Expect street closures to begin between 6 am to 8 am in the assembly areas with the marches scheduled to commence at 11 am to 12 pm.
- The rally area will be around City Hall at ~1 pm and is expected to last until 5 pm.
- Between 10,000 to 20,000 marchers are expected but those numbers could swell as there are calls on social media for many students from colleges and high schools to skip class that day to join the protests. In addition, there are calls for many workers to boycott work that day.
- One assembly area is on Olympic Blvd. between Figueroa and Flower. This gathering will march EB on Olympic to Broadway where they will join forces with another gathering (assembly area on Broadway between Olympic and 11th) and proceed NB on Broadway to City Hall where a rally will be held from 1 pm to 5 pm.
- Expect all streets surrounding City Hall, namely First, Broadway, Main, and Temple to be closed.
- Another march will begin at ~ 12 pm from Mariachi Plaza in Boyle Heights (on First Street between Boyle Ave & Bailey Street) and proceed WB on First Street to City Hall to join the rest of the marchers.
- Another group is planning on meeting at the Staples Center (Figueroa and 11th). They will most likely make their way to City Hall via Broadway too.
- The LAPD, CHP, and LAFD will be on full alert. Expect a very strong presence by the LAPD to maintain peaceful protest marches.
- The CHP will be out in force at many on/off ramps in order to keep marchers off the freeways.
- Expect all streets in the Downtown area and especially the Civic Center, including the freeways, to have major traffic jams.
- Expect unpermitted marches and rallies that could pop up anywhere along major streets and intersections throughout the Los Angeles area.
- In addition to the marches, heavy rain is expected from ~ 7 am to 1 pm, thus adding to the traffic woes of the day.
- Both the Olive Street and Westlawn Garages will remain open for their normal business hours, however, alternative routes may have to be taken to access the garages.
Please plan your travel time accordingly and drive defensively.